There are a total of 8 Game Modes that suits a wide range of play styles.
- Free For All: As the name states, it’s every player for themselves.
- Maze: Similar to Free For All, but with walls that force players to take paths.
- Survival: 10 players compete to be the last one alive.
- 2 Teams & 4 Teams: Teams of different colors compete to be the best.
- Domination: 2 teams compete to take over 4 dominators on different sides of the map.
- Tag: 4 teams try to convert players on opposing teams to win.
- Sandbox: Players can test out different tanks and play with friends.
Removed Game Modes
There are two game modes that were removed and are no longer playable.
- Team Deathmatch: Also abbreviated as Team DM, it is very similar to 2 Teams and 4 Teams, except for the fact that you couldn't choose how many teams there are. This Game Mode was later removed and was split into 2 Teams and 4 Teams.
- Mothership: The goal in this Game Mode is to destroy the other team's Mothership.
|Removed Game Modes|
- Main article: Controls
- Movement: WASD or [↑ → ↓ ←]
W or [↑] for up, A or [←] for left, S or [↓] for down, D or [→] for right.
- Aiming: Mouse - the tank will point toward the player's mouse.
- Shooting: Left click, or press space. Hold works too if clicking many times is disliked. The player can press “E” for Auto Fire.
- Drone Repel (and others): Right-click or Shift - drones from the Overseer, Overlord, Manager, and Necromancer will move away from the mouse). For the drones from the Factory, they will either move away from the mouse or collapse to the position of the mouse, depending on their position to the mouse. Some other tanks have other interactions when you Right-click or Shift. For more info on this, see the section about Right-click in Controls.
- Upgrade: Either click the “+” button next to the stat the player wants to upgrade with the cursor or press the number key shown next to the upgrade stat.
- Auto Fire: Press E to turn on Auto Fire - the tank will shoot continuously without the need to hold the mouse down. Press E again to turn Auto Fire off.
- Maximize Stat: Holding M and a number key will automatically place upgrade points as they become available into the stat corresponding to the number. Pressing M alone will cancel maximization.
- Queue Upgrades: Holding U while upgrading without and upgrade points can queue your upgrades, which will be automatically be upgraded in the order you queued. Pressing U twice without upgrading will empty the queue.
- Auto Spin: Press C to turn on Auto Spin - the tank will spin slowly, no matter what one's mouse is doing. Press C again to turn Auto Spin-off.
- Full screen: Press F2.
- Open class tree: Hold Y to show the entire class tree (all the classes, and the path to get them). After the player finishes looking at it, they may release the Y key to avoid lag.
- Take control of Dominator: After the player’s team has captured the Dominator, they can press H to take control of it (without spamming it). The controls stay the same, except the player cannot move.
- Releasing control of Dominator: Press H to release control. If the player spams the H button wanting to take control of the Dominator, they will end up killing themselves and not taking control of the tank.
Diep.io also features a huge variety of playable classes, which can be upgraded at Levels 15, 30, and 45 (max level). the player starts as a normal Tank with a single Cannon which shoots a single Bullet and begins to work their way up from there. Every 15 levels, they may choose to step up to the next available Tier, which is an organization of classes. Tiers, in turn, are sorted in the class tree, shown on the right.
Below is an expanded table of tanks, sorted by Tier and by availability:
When one levels up, they also gain points that can be put towards upgrading the Stats of their tank, which boosts certain characteristics:
- Health Regen - Allows the tank to regenerate health faster
- Max Health - Increases the amount of health the tank has
- Body Damage - Increases the damage done by body collisions
- Bullet Speed - Increases the ammunition velocity
- Bullet Penetration - Increases bullet health and hence its penetration
- Bullet Damage - Increases the damage done by ammunition
- Reload - Increases the rate of fire
- Movement Speed - Increases the tank's speed of movement
After every level up through 2-28 the player gets an upgrade point to upgrade one of those stats from a menu like the one seen here. Then, every 3 levels from 30-45 they get an upgrade point.
In Diep.io, as well as opponents, the player can fight powerful, AI-controlled Bosses every 10-23 minutes the server is online. They will grant one a lot of experience (30,000, enough to get a level 1 tank beyond the required experience needed for level 45) for the assailant. To be fair to new users, bosses will not target players under level 15 unless provoked. There are a total of 5 different bosses to battle:
|Guardian • Summoner • Defender • Fallen Booster • Fallen Overlord|
Achievements are rewards in Diep.io. A player can obtain them through reaching specific requirements, shown on the achievement; some are harder than others, while some are extremely easy. There are 50 achievements in the game as of March 4th, 2017. The player can see all achievements, with earned ones in color, by moving their mouse to the right side of the screen.
- Many believe that .io is a game tag for multiplayer games. It is a domain in the British Indian Ocean Territory, where the British and the Chagossians take some of the profit from the people who use the .io domain. Since no Chagossians are living in the area, and the British soon denied the profits from the domain, .io is a free domain.
- Each server can harbor a maximum of 80 players (not including AI).
- The game came out from an old browser game that the Developer, Zeach made called “Diepix”.
This section contains bugs related to Diep.io. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
|Click to Show Bug List|