|Tale of Diep (ToD) is no longer under active development as a derivative of Diep.io and remains here as an archive, though spin-offs such as The Extended Tale of Diep remain active. For info on the successor to Tale of Diep, now an independent work called "A Tale Where Nothing Matters", visit its Discord server here.|
Deep within the frozen wastelands of Wintercrest lies Ennealis, the disciple of the Nonagons. Unlike her brethren, she created a mini-faction in her right. While Pentavian is completely against that idea, as disciples are supposed to be united and in arms with each other and not relying on a massive army -- Ennealis has no problem creating such. She has proven herself as a powerful figure, and it's no question why she doesn't see anything wrong with making fun of the other disciples, even those who agree with her most...
Unlike Perpendiculus, Ennealis isn't as bold of a person to the point of calling herself supreme, in fact, she rarely compliments herself. It's that she deliberately finds any way to offend and intimidate the others, regardless of whoever she chooses. Ennealis calls out those below her ranking and can take things too far. Nobody likes to hang around with Ennealis, even Pentavian, who is practically known as the most stable disciple in relating to others. Legends say that he couldn't stick around with Ennealis for more than an hour, though it's unsure exactly what's going on between them. As she also wouldn't seem to agree with almost anything the other disciples say, she decided to move away and now resides in a remote area of Wintercrest. Pentavian is trying his best to resolve this age-old conflict, and it seems now with the Cult waging war with the Tank Empire it's only now going to get worse. She also tends to throw in colorful language here and there.
Ennealis is one of the eight Disciples of the Polygons. She is the only female Disciple and has quite an attitude. She represents the Nonagons and every defender associated with them, including the Phages. Ennealis, along with the other Polygon Disciples, is located in the heart of her Edifice. She is located in the chilling lands of Wintercrest, which has since been fitting to her personality. Her complex is filled with the Nonagon-based inhabitants and the keepers that await any intruders. They will be fought first before facing down the ruler of them all.
Ennealis has a cyan nonagon body with a spawner on the bottom, and a bandolier with three phage-cyan "Phage Grenades" on it. Her helmet covers the top half of the edge of her body, with gold trim on its inner edge and spikes in the background. In the center of the helmet is a sizable nonagon gem, with two tiny Drone Phage symbols next to it. There is a gray diamond with gold edges jutting upwards from behind the nonagon gem with another Drone Phage symbol pointing down. Behind the body is a pale green cape with spiked-metallic shoulder pads, with a Phage-green stripe along the base part of the spikes. For weapons, Ennealis has a serrated short-sword on her right hand and an oversized Phage Spawner with gold detailing instead of light gray and four tiny spikes coming out of the spawner.
Ennealis can summon various enemies, even more than other Disciples, and since she doesn't need to rely on particular crasher variants, her creation of the phages has provided more than enough to support. In Phase 2, where her hands lose their weapons, Ennealis can summon boss entities like the Nonation and Phage Lord, and waves of the Phage Nest Defenders.
Ennealis's spawner doesn't produce nonagons that often. Rather, 6 out of 7 spawns will be 5 of one type of Phage. In the event in which a nonagon will spawn, it will only spawn one. Spawn rates are every 3-6 seconds. There is a maximum of 105 Phages at any time and 65 nonagons. Neither limits apply to polygons and Phages used in Ennealis's attacks.
Ennealis's attacks are both reliant on the weapons she has and very limited magical powers. In other words, she's as magical as a rock (or in comparison to Octrax, whichever they prefer to compare her to.) She has summoning powers, but that's about it. Her sword often inflicts Weakened and Slowed in some attacks, and the Phage Spawner spawns loads of Phages in her attacks.
During this phase of the battle, she is in the center of the arena, staying still as more players join in. Ennealis then stands up and speaks her monologue. Her first attack will block the exit and is only used once. An enormous Nonagon gets summoned and blocks the exit. Polygons created by Ennealis will not reward any EXP.
Ennealis is invulnerable during Phase 1, and only when her hands' HP reach 0 will cause Ennealis to enter Phase 2. The hands that are "destroyed" lose all of their weapons and become invulnerable, but useless. Attacks that require the weapons will be disabled.
- Nona-ton: Ennealis summons an alpha nonagon and sends it flying at the exit, jamming it up. This nonagon behaves exactly like a wall, and prevents exiting and entering the room. No knockback effects are inflicted upon contact with it, nor players will sustain damage upon collision.
Thou shall endure the cascade of the Realm's powerful militia!
- Holo: Ennealis's Phage Spawner projects a cyan hard-light translucent hologram of a certain weapon. These weapons and the attack associated with them are described below:
- Claw: A four-"fingered" claw that resembles the kind on a construction crane. It can reach out and grab players to crush them, inflicting medium-high damage and Weakened for 5 seconds.
- Machete: A knife that looks like its namesake, Ennealis uses this to swipe at tanks and deal medium damage paired with Bleeding for 3 seconds.
- Shoto: A short lightsaber weapon (in the Star Wars universe, a shoto is a smaller lightsaber designed for smaller beings, like Yoda) that Ennealis tosses like a boomerang to hit players with. Usually repeated three times, each successive toss has a longer range than the last. Medium damage is inflicted, along with Paralyzed for 3 seconds.
After using one of these attack forms for 12 seconds, the hologram flickers out of existence, and Ennealis returns to fighting normally.
- Spear Pull: Ennealis sticks her sword into a hapless player, and pulls it out quickly, dealing medium-high damage to them and inflicting Bleeding for 20 seconds.
- Serrated Slash: Ennealis slashes her sword back and forth, inflicting Weakened and Slowed for 6 seconds and medium damage. The sword isn't as wide or long as some of the other swords that the other Disciples use, so it's easier to avoid than Hexen's sword for example, which has a larger hitbox.
- Phage Storm: Ennealis spawns a group of mixed Phages from her Phage Spawner, 16 in total.
- Viral Power: Ennealis spawns a certain number of a certain kind of Phage, gaining an additional effect with it below:
- Oxide: 18 Fighter Phages are spawned. Ennealis gains Strength for the next 10 seconds.
- Nitride: 15 Drone Phages are spawned. Ennealis gains Hasty for the next 10 seconds.
- Carbide: 16 Spike Phages are spawned. Ennealis gains Armored for the next 10 seconds.
- Hydride: 14 Over Phages are spawned. Ennealis gains Frenzy for the next 8 seconds.
- Viral Spread: Similar to Viral Power, but instead debuffs are given to players in a range around Ennealis as the additional effect instead.
- Boride: 10 Exploder Phages are spawned. Players in range are inflicted with Broken for the next 4 seconds.
- Fluoride: 17 Shadow Phages are spawned. Players in range are inflicted with Weakened for the next 4 seconds.
- Chloride: 13 Skewer Phages are spawned. Players in range are inflicted with Stunned for the next 4 seconds.
- Sulfide: 21 Phage Mines are spawned and fly at players at medium speed. Players in range are inflicted with Unfocused for the next 4 seconds.
- Viral Evolution: Ennealis summons a random Phage Nest Defender in front of her to fight. It can be an Automer, Amnuheav, Convertere, Rammere, Hedge, or Gunfighter.
- Impact Burst: Ennealis fires five Destroyer bullets from her Phage spawner. These bullets do not disappear upon hitting an entity; rather, they will carry things with them and deal low damage. Upon smashing into a wall, then they deal their full damage. Players hit while the bullets are still moving are damaged slightly, but the impact is what deals the heavy damage.
- Spectral Blade: Ennealis's sword flashes cyan and gains a cyan aura that increases its length drastically. It curves back and forth, trying to hit players for medium damage, also inflicting Weakened for 4 seconds on contact.
- Phage Grenade: Ennealis tosses a Phage Grenade at players. It has a 3 in 7 chance to turn the players hit into a Nonagon (via the Polymorph debuff) with an 80% damage resistance for 15 seconds, a 3 in 7 chance to spawn 18 assorted Phages on impact, or a 1 in 7 chance to turn one player hit into an invincible mutant phage creature, which said player cannot control and can only helplessly watch as it goes after their allies. The creature will turn back into a normal tank after 10 seconds.
- Spike Ring: Ennealis summons a large ring of Spike Phages that rotate around her in a ring as a defensive move. They do not go after players until hit.
- Shadow Militia: Ennealis summons an invisible group of Shadow Phages in various locations near her. When they are 20 background tiles or more away from her, they become visible and start targeting players.
- Core Destruction: Ennealis summons a hexagon of six Over Phages, with three Exploder Phages jammed into the middle. This Phage hexagon is tossed at a player, and upon impact with something the Exploder Phages self-destruct, releasing the Over Phages to cause havoc.
- Storm Slash: Ennealis attacks with her sword, which has a group of summoned Fighter Phages orbiting it. Contact with the sword does the usual medium damage and inflicts Slowed for 4.5 seconds.
- Minelayer: Ennealis summons 20-30 Skewer Phages and controls them as one group, slamming them into tanks like a Necromancer's swarm of squares, leaving behind loads of Thorn Mines. These Skewer Phages have 25% less health and contact damage than normal.
- IX Blast: Ennealis's nonagon gem flashes and fires a brilliant beam of light that forms a digital number 9, which then counts down to 0. Ennealis receives 900 HP in health back, while releasing a blinding blast of light that inflicts (what else) Blinded for 4 seconds. Only used twice.
When Ennealis's hands are disabled at 39,600 health, she enters Phase 2. Ennealis moves faster and uses powered-up versions of her Phase 1 attacks and drastically increases the spawn rate of attacks involving Phages. She teleports into the center of the arena at the very beginning of Phase 2. Bullets fired at the hands will go through them. Ennealis's helmet cracks near the sides.
Ennealis can now summon bosses such as the Nonation and Phage Lord, along with the Phage Nest Defenders (Automer, Amnuheav, Convertere, Rammere, Hedge, and Gunfighter) since she lacks other bosses that she can use. All of these bosses (and mini-bosses) will reward EXP, excluding their minions.
During a boss summon, Ennealis will be invulnerable until the boss/bosses die. She cannot attack while a boss is in session. After the boss dies, Ennealis will resume attacking until the loss of 7,800 HP has been reached. For every 7,800 HP lost, Ennealis will summon a boss or multiple bosses as the following:
Wave Spawning Order:
- At 39,600 HP: Amnuheav + Gunfighter + Hedge or Automer + Rammere + Convertere.
- At 31,800 HP: Phage Lord + three random Nest Defenders.
- At 24,000 HP: Two Nonations
- At 16,200 HP: Nonation + Phage Lord + three random Nest Defenders.
- At 8,400 HP: Nonation + Two Phage Lords + five random Nest Defenders.
- At 600 HP: Two Nonations + Two Phage Lords + seven random Nest Defenders.
During the between sessions of the boss summoning, Ennealis will do these attacks randomly. If Ennealis reaches the 7,800 HP mark, she'll become invulnerable and wait for the attack to be finished.
- Phage Storm II: Ennealis spawns a group of mixed Phages from her spawner, 27 in total.
- Viral Power II: Ennealis spawns a certain number of a certain kind of Phage, gaining an additional effect with it below:
- Enneaoxide: 22 Fighter Phages are spawned. Ennealis gains Strength for the next 15 seconds.
- Enneanitride: 19 Drone Phages are spawned. Ennealis gains Hasty for the next 15 seconds.
- Enneancarbide: 20 Spike Phages are spawned. Ennealis gains Armored for the next 15 seconds.
- Enneahydride: 18 Over Phages are spawned. Ennealis gains Frenzy for the next 11 seconds.
- Viral Spread II: Similar to Viral Power, but instead debuffs are given to players in a range around Ennealis as the additional effect instead.
- Enneaboride: 14 Exploder Phages are spawned. Players in range are inflicted with Broken for the next 7 seconds.
- Enneafluoride: 21 Shadow Phages are spawned. Players in range are inflicted with Weakened for the next 7 seconds.
- Enneachloride: 17 Skewer Phages are spawned. Players in range are inflicted with Stunned for the next 6 seconds.
- Enneasulfide: 25 Phage Mines are spawned and fly at players at high speed. Players in range are inflicted with Unfocused for the next 6 seconds.
- Viral Evolution II: Ennealis summons two random Phage Nest Defenders and eight random Phage types in front of her to fight. Again, any Nest Defender or Phage type suffices here.
- Impact Burst II: Ennealis fires seven Annihilator bullets from her bottom spawner. These bullets do not disappear upon hitting an entity; rather, they will carry things with them and deal medium-low damage. Upon smashing into a wall, then they deal their full damage. Players hit while the bullets are still moving are damaged slightly, but the impact is what deals the heavy damage.
- Phage Grenade II: Ennealis tosses three (instead of one) Phage Grenades at players. Again, upon impact, they have a 3 in 7 chance to turn the players hit into a Nonagon (via the Polymorph debuff) with an 80% damage resistance for 15 seconds, a 3 in 7 chance to spawn 18 assorted Phages on impact, or a 1 in 7 chance to turn one player hit into an invincible mutant phage creature, which said player cannot control and can only helplessly watch as it goes after their allies. The creature will turn back into a normal tank after 10 seconds.
- Spike Ring II: Ennealis summons a denser large ring of Spike Phages that rotate around her in a ring as a defensive move. They do not go after players until hit and have 25% increased body damage, health, and speed.
- Shadow Militia II: Ennealis summons an invisible group of Shadow Phages in various locations near her. When they are 20 background tiles or more away from her, they become visible and start targeting players.
- Core Destruction II: Ennealis summons three hexagons of six Over Phages, with six Exploder Phages jammed tightly into the middle. These Phage hexagons are tossed at a player, and upon impact with something the Exploder Phages self-destruct, releasing the Over Phages to cause havoc. Both types of Phages used here have a 25% increase to all their stats.
- Storm Slash II: Ennealis attacks with two groups of 15 Fighter Phages each, chasing players down. Fighter Phages have a 25% boost to all their stats.
- Minelayer II: Ennealis summons 25-35 Skewer Phages and controls them as one group, slamming them into tanks like a Necromancer's swarm of squares, leaving behind loads of Thorn Mines. No debuffs to the Skewer Phages' stats are here now.
- Critical Point: Ennealis's phage symbols on her helmet flash and all Phages in the room gain increased movement speed, health, body damage and all other stats by 30%. There is a 50% chance for this to increase to 45% after 30 seconds, and another 25% chance for it to go to 55%, and another 25% chance for this to go to 75%.
- Nonawall: Ennealis summons a long two-thick wall of Beta Nonagons in front of her. She will direct Phages around it to attack while restoring 300 HP instantly. Cannot be used more than three times in this phase.
- Nonagon Hail: Ennealis summons 15-20 Nonagons at the top of the room, which fall to the bottom and shatter. Players hit receive medium damage and are inflicted with Broken for 4 seconds. Multiple debuffs do not stack here.
- Reckless: Ennealis dashes into the highest concentration of players with Invincible, dealing high damage and knockback. She does take 100-150 HP in recoil damage afterward, though.
- Blitz Blast: Ennealis gathers up all the Phages, Phage Mines, and Nonagons in the room, clumps them into a giant ball and detonates any explosive entities before releasing the ball of entities in a cataclysmic explosion. The flying entities deal halved body damage to every player hit by them and will disappear regardless of their type after hitting two things or a wall.
The End of Ennealis
When Ennealis reaches the 600 HP mark, and after the bosses are defeated, Ennealis will initiate her final phase. She will do a continuous Blitz Blast attack, with everything that's involved not disappearing and just coming back for more explosions (they have to be manually destroyed). Ennealis will actively be moving around trying to avoid any form of enemy ammunition.
That isn't it, though. The enormous nonagon that blocked up the exit will split into 18 of each phage type. They don't need to be destroyed to end the battle, just deal enough damage to Ennealis and it's over...
If every tank present during Ennealis's final moment has died, she will remain in the arena, tired and warn out from her use of attacks. She remains silent as the screen fades.
However, if Ennealis's HP finally reaches 0, she kneels down, and white cracks begin forming all around her body, with any Nonagon in range around her starting to lose their color, turning into shades of gray. Ennealis then suddenly vaporizes with a white flash on the screen, leaving only the helmet and both her sword and her phage spawner on top of a pile of ashes. All Nonagons and polygons associated with them in a huge radius around the death of Ennealis will have halved HP and resistances. Any Nonagon-based bosses/mini-bosses that were present near the fortress where Ennealis has been defeated will greatly reduce in HP and Resistances, while Superior Nonagon nests will stop spawning Nonagons for a long time around its destruction area...
Introduction During Battle
- "How curious you all are, wandering into my fortress... I knew you're up to something, and ultimately you got what you asked for! Go ahead and try to cut me into pieces. Give me all you got! And, beware... - My carefully constructed phages... possibly the most complex polygons you'll EVER ENCOUNTER! And I have a job to do, assigned by my matriarch, to get rid of you! If I win, wonderful! Who would care if I lose? Do you think my bastardy brothers will help? --- Forget them! They wouldn't even resolve the issues that they caused in the first place. Decratite especially, screwing things up around here with his "PRISM" idea. A ****ING IDIOT he is! And now is the day I battle you all. Whom has yet to impress me through penetrating my fortress confines! I have nothing to lose except myself --- Absolutely wonderful... Thou shall endure the cascade of the Realm's powerful militia!"
- "Tell me how within short years your soldiers become so fine trained. Rivaling not one, not ten, but hundreds and thousands each! What are your secrets!?" (Said randomly)
- "Just because you're doing what YOU think is best, doesn't mean it is!" (Said randomly)
- "My phages come in unified armies while your barbaric hordes aimlessly wander in mere bands..." (Said randomly)
- "Call me whatever you want, but you can't get rid of the truth." (Said randomly)
- "Pentavian would have been such a great Disciple if only he favored our independence over devout loyalty to him..." (Said randomly)
- "You have a right to fail. Privileges are assigned to those who couldn't fathom them." (Said randomly)
- "I'm colder than even Wintercrest." (Said randomly)
- "Let me name the idiots I know for sure: Perpendiculus, Hexen, Septuar, Octrax, and especially Decratite. Hell, Pentavian too." (Said randomly)
- "Octrax surely did make his own stuff! Of course, he didn't, he plagiarized from his love interest! Ahahahahaha!" (Said randomly)
- "Observing the weapons you champions of the barbaric use, I devised this addition to my arsenal. I select three weapons to test, and it's my job to see just how well they act on karma's behalf!" (Said the first time using Holo)
- "You tanks may be strong, but your numbers mean nothing. I shall show you why..." (Sometimes said when using Viral Power)
- "Your small pack has no alpha. And soon it will have none at all, hopeless, with no chance to rise again." (Sometimes said when using Viral Spread)
- "Well I'll be damned! You're getting too ahead of yourselves! I'll help you fall back behind." (Sometimes said when using Impact Burst)
- "So you consider me as magical as a rock? Look at Somber Falls for a change..." (Sometimes said when using Spectral Blade)
- "Whatever comes out of this, I'm sure you deserve it nonetheless..." (Sometimes said when using Phage Grenade)
- "Wishing to control us? Well, look what I did to you! (Sometimes said when using Phage Grenade, if a player gets "infected" and attacks their allies.)
- "Darkness is just the term for the lack of light." (Sometimes said when using Shadow Militia)
- "One step astray for tanks here is one large step forward for Nonagons!" (Sometimes said when using Minelayer)
- "Karma's counting down!" (When using IX Blast)
- "I should have brought this up earlier... The Realm has the Cult. The Realm has you! The Realm then has us too. We wage war with each other, only in disbelief and in disregard of the very thing that created us..." (Said randomly)
- "You forced us down two routes of devastation: Your ****ing army is slaughtering one, and the other is submitting to the abusive rulers that plagued our kind for centuries..." (Said a few seconds after the quote above)
- "You kill me? And FOR WHAT? To cut one of the last sane people out of this world?" (Said randomly)
- "If you don't fight us, is your fear of fighting each other still looming above you? Your pitiful mass murderer of an idol, Royale, ALWAYS looks forward to your internal conflicts!" (Said randomly)
- "Your one fundamental purpose in this world is killing. Get over yourselves." (Said randomly or sometimes as an add-on to the quote above)
- "This all reminds me of a time when the records state that you were all servitors. I agree freedom was a good thing to have, and now instead of just being independent, you go ahead and seal our god. Thank you!" (Said randomly)
- "You can't stop me from doing radical things! I'm a DISCIPLE! I spread VaRiEtY to the world! And my matriarch would never be against that, even if everything I do is considered 'wrong' to you..." (Said randomly)
- "Pentavian used to make Crashers something we have to "attain." Phages are my solution to that dumb rule." (Said randomly)
- "If you came here to bribe me, go live your life as an opportunist." (Said randomly)
- "Disease doesn't mean germs. You sickos are already diseased in other ways..." (Said randomly)
- "Vallard Wastes provides a perfect example as to how this Realm turned out. I used to live there... it was prosperous. Now look at it all..." (Said randomly)
- "You may be struggling and drowning already, but the storm has just begun..." (When using Critical Point)
- "Unsympathetic. Unloving! They will fall and so will you!" (Sometimes said when using Nonagon Hail)
- "The fact of the matter is, you've let to learn your wrongdoings. I can at least accept that I'm not the best and come to terms with that!" (Sometimes said when using Blitz Blast)
- "PREPARE TO MEET! A bunch of my creations, I mean I couldn't say it any better." (One of many quotes that can be said prior to a boss summoning)
- "A Tank Empire soldier may be worth tens, even hundreds of men. But the strongest under me are worth tens, even hundreds of you..." (One of many quotes that can be said prior to a boss summoning)
- "I'll give you something to truly fear!" (One of many quotes that can be said prior to a boss summoning)
- "The Nonagons rival your power in combat, and yet there are so many more..." (One of many quotes that can be said prior to a boss summoning)
- "I was done being nice a long time ago. But now you've pushed it to the end. The Phages bring even your strength in arms and turns it into strength in the knees. And soon there will be so many you will finally break and fall!" (At the start of the death phase)
- "I remember when people would consider me a 'sweetheart.' I was not aware of the **it that was about to occur. Your time is done!" (Said randomly throughout the death phase before reaching 0 health)
- "Want even the slightest chance to live, and neutrality between our kind? Make like the much more righteous Cult and affiliate unto and with me..." (Said randomly throughout the death phase before reaching 0 health)
- "It's all for naught, you see!? Your efforts are riddled with pointlessness! You never SOLVE A PROBLEM. You just shoot at it, and shoot at it, until it goes away. And then, you walk off, with a false sense of self-fulfillment, no remorse or regret for anything at all..." (Said randomly throughout the death phase before reaching 0 health)
"Perpendiculus, I have old memories of you calling me a 'Square Wannabe.' I may as well be a tank due to your 'fantastic' ideology... Hexen, you try and try, but I know that you will never change... Septaur, you were a stubborn freak only caring about business. Nonetheless, you weren't terrible... Decratite, you keep misunderstanding. My matriarch wanted purity. We all violated that rule... Octrax, come on and admit that you have affiliations with Dr. Lacus already! And Pentavian... If you are doing the right thing, then why is it that your enforced loyalty to you only brings benefit to some of our kind? I remember better times before everything collapsed before us... before all of this. Its a shame I can't live to see any of it reconciled. The Prism represents how we were in the past, and how we all ended up today..." *vaporized in white flash, with only her helmet, weapons, and ash being left behind*
*To be added*
- Ennealis uses lots of Phages in her attacks and abilities. As if that weren't already obvious.
- She also possesses a colorful personality, to say the least.
- Ennealis is an Affilia in the Cult of Panzer hierarchy. She is not exactly a part of the Cult and its inner workings but follows its beliefs and practices.
- If the chat filter is turned on, Ennealis' swears will be replaced with a random assortment of ancient runic characters found throughout the game.